Altagamma (High-end) it’s the name of the Italian Foundation that gathers the companies of the cultural and creative high industry in order to promote in the world the excellence of the Italian craftsmanship and style. Its mission? Highlighting the Italian contemporary essence that can be translated with the saying “the beautiful, the good and the well-made”. Founded in 1992 in Milan by Santo Versace, Gianni Versace’s brother and chaired by Andrea Illy, the CEO of Illy Caffè, Altagamma has been celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. For the occasion, a new look for the logo Ycosaedron Vacuus, drawn by Leonardo da Vinci for the treaty De divina proportione that has been revisited and more stylised and a new tagline “Creatività e cultura italiana” (“Italian creativity and culture”).
The companies of the Foundation are Made in Italy ambassadors that operate in different sectors of luxury: Fashion, design, jewellery, gastronomy, wines and alcohols, hotel industry and automotive. The members today are a hundred and at the end of 2013 they welcomed Yoox.com, the European leader of luxury e-commerce, and the department store of Milan, La Rinascente. Among the most renowned: Bottega Veneta, Ermenegildo Zegna, Salvatore Ferragamo, Brunello Cucinelli, Buccellati, Kartell, Illy Caffé, Cantine Ferrari, Principe di Savoia, Ferrari et Ducati. Altagamma has identified the characteristic features that underlie the stylistic and creative excellence of high-end Italian brands and their success worldwide, specifically:
- The aesthetic vocation (style, design, taste for beauty and elegance)
- The craft quality (manual dexterity skills, sense of details, transfer of know-how)
- The cultural and artistic heritage (relationship with history, connection with roots, sense of belonging to the territory)
- The social quality (sense of community, family company)
- The relational quality (natural, cultural and productive wealth)
- The variety multiplicity (variety of cultures, styles and tastes)
- The global quality of life (the Italian culture of “living well”, more relaxed rhythms, enjoying the small pleasures)
- The creativity (inventiveness, talent, passion, curiosity, versatility)
In order to encourage the growth of competitiveness of the Italian companies, the Foundation has among its goals the enhancing of manual labour: the skilled craftsmanship represents the central resource of Italian industry of excellence and a heritage passed on from generation to generation that Italy must conserve and promote. That’s why Altagamma participates to the experimental project the “Botteghe di Mestiere” (the “Crafts workshops”) that allows young people to specialise themselves in the different sectors of Made in Italy through the trainings.
Altagamma has become the global reference point for luxury market thanks to its researches undertaken in partnership with the best strategy consulting firms such as Bain&Co. and McKinsey&Company.